Monday, April 14, 2008

Mobile Technology & Me

Image taken from apple.com
I have learnt my lesson of being too connected. Sometimes when I’m with friends and in a social setting, I feel I should value the time I spend with them and try to resist always checking my iphone (or blackberry or mobile device for some people), for email messages. I think I have gotten over, being fascinated by the Internet, especially in terms of being connected to people via IMing, chatting or facebook. I use it as a way of communicating and keeping in touch with people, but I feel it is not my primary interaction with people. Using the map function on my iphone allows me to reduce the chances of getting lost in DC. Mobile technology definitely has its function, but it only enhances our lives but does not supplant it.

Some people use mobile technology to tell people what they are doing every second of their lives. They use mobile phones combined with web technology to upload live stream videos and pictures of the things that they are doing. Also through GPS, people can track their friends. I believe if people want to share their lives in such a way, as with what is happening with facebook, then so be it. Their might be someone out there who is interested and has the time to check out your webpage. As for me, I would not post on facebook, for example, if I just ordered “pizza from Bertucci’s” or am “napping,” for the whole world to see. But I guess some people feel more comfortable in sharing every little mundane detail about their lives.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I think the idea is that some people have to be constantly connected due to their workload. Some people don't have time to waste and what better to do with standing around waiting for a bus then to check your e-mail. If I am sitting on a bench on my campus and have a couple mins to spare, then maybe I'll update my status. Doesn't mean you need to tell people where you are constantly but for people who are always on the run. It's difficult trying to make all the phone calls to some of your friends to see who's avaliable. I think that's why some people use certain social networking sites, to notify their friends if their in the area and ahve a couple mins to spare. Then the friends that aren't busy can notify them that they have time to meet up as well. I believe it depends on the lifestyle and the demands that are put on ther person that will lead them to using such sites and programs.

Timur Khalif said...

I definitely see what you are saying because I too have an Iphone. When I first got it, all I wanted to do was use all the apps and functions available. There is so much the phone does for you. But, you cannot rely solely on the phone because that can become a problem. Now in terms of people posting every second of their lives on social network sites, its up to them on how much they want to update their statuses, etc. Basically its in their control and they do what they want. I personally have better things to do then to update my status every thirty seconds but I do frequently check my email on my iphone and use it as a part of my daily routine. It all depends on the person and their daily activities and they use social technology to their liking.