Sunday, February 24, 2008

Moving from paper based systems to online documenting


Increasingly, we are moving from paper based systems of documenting things such as papers, reports, and creative works to digital and online forms of storing such data. For example, we are moving from printing out physical photographs from our cameras to having most of our pictures saved on our computers and shared online. It is definitely becoming cheaper as well, to store information online and it conserves space.

I remember my Dad having stacks of photo albums and videotapes of family videos and events. Much of the pictures I take today are stored in my laptop, yet my parents are not so tech-saavy to view online social networking sites to view uploaded pictures. However, it is becoming more expensive to print pictures, and therefore it is a definite cost saver by storing them digitally.

Even when I create papers and personal works, most of them are stored digitally in my laptop or servers. This definitely saves space and provides another storage method that could reduce the risk of physically storing material such as losing it through a fire, theft or misplacement. When I was in my early years of high school, I wrote some English papers, that I found amusing when I read them after I graduated high school. Unfortunately, those papers got thrown out, when my family was spring cleaning. Therefore, in some ways, digital storage can be a back-up to physical storage of information. In addition, the images or information would not get physically damaged or destroyed such as old photographs.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

I feel that saving pictures or other work on computers or servers can be just as risky as physical photos. My friend had asked everyone to send our pictures from high school to him and he would compile them and send them out to everyone. He had them saved on his computer, another drive, and a CD and they all got messed up before everyone could get them. I know this is rare, but servers do shut down and computers do have lots of problems where you lose data.

I sometimes think it's safer to keep hard copies of photos. I have many of my pictures saved on discs and in online photo albums and I am still nervous about losing them all. Maybe that is just me, maybe not...

Carolyn said...

I have to agree with Kendra. There are risks with relying on computers with all your documents and memories. I have gone some situations where I actually lost memories and papers I had written because the hard drive destroyed itself. Then sometimes your pictures when transferring (as Kendra said) can be messed up. I have recently run into this problem. It's very depressing when that happens.
Although, for some reason, I still rely on an external drive and my computer's hard drive. Maybe I have a problem with the need to depend on technology but you need to be aware that it does entail risk.