Monday, February 18, 2008

Is Second Life going too far?

In this online community, it mimics real economic-based society where you can buy clothes to keep up with trends and amass wealth to enjoy a better standard of living.

There is growing commerce and people work just as hard in their Second Life (SL) jobs as in their real jobs, in order to generate income and have the lifestyle they want to lead. But are people taking Second Life a bit too seriously? I haven’t tried out the online community myself, but from what I’ve been reading, it sounds kind of addictive and I don’t want to be devoting time and money to something, which I should be doing for my real life.

Even land buying and selling can be carried out by speculators in Second Life. Catherine A. Fitzpatrick , a Russian translator in New York city owns several properties in Second Life, and charges between $1.50 and $150 in rent. Ironically she takes profits made in a virtual reality life to pay for real-world bills.

Second Life sounds interesting and fun and is a microcosm of society as we know it. In some ways, it could let us live our fantasies and do things that we couldn’t do in daily life such as the characters people choose in SL and the unusual trends and fashion they follow such as butterfly wings. It just scares me how people take things quire seriously and indicates there is a big potential for virtual reality.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

It's a good way for business to discovery what consumers want. Some people have found it to be useful in marketing and testing brands or products out but it has it's drawbacks. You don't know the real age range or basic info of all the users to be able to make a judgement of your target audience wants.

Unknown said...

Deepak! I'm really excited to see the Second Life first hand. I didn't know that you can buy things in the virtual world of SL with real money from the real world! That just blows my mind. We have only seen the baby stages of this virtual world, and I feel it's destined to grow. I also agree with Carolyn when she says that this virtual world is a good way for companies to discover what consumers want.

Raphael Jaras said...

This is really interesting Deepak i hadn't read about that woman renting properties to make real money. I agree that it is going to far and think that it could work well for business networking but as far as socializing with friends go its weird. When an event on second life is chosen over something in the real world its very unfortunate. Enjoyed the post and definitely agree with you.